Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
How resilient are we against platform failure?
"If civilization sinks tomorrow, which of us would be sunk?"

I'm going to expand on this post later, but I think Christmas and this most recent failure of NS raises the question of what we do when it's no longer around. We're current an NS community, and that unfortunately means that if NS ceases to exist, a core component of our community just ceases to exist- In particular, our ability to find new community members. Not good. Similarly, if Discord ever runs out of money (a real possibility considering that, according to most sources, it's running at a loss on other venture capitalist ghoul money) then substantial amounts of regional history would be lost forever. Also not good.

I don't know what we should do about this, but it's something to keep in mind.
Tech Lizard of The League
Arboreal Delegate of Concord
Most importantly, we should probably download anything important from NS and Discord, and either upload it to here or the wiki (or anything else reliable that we have control of). It would undoubtedly take a very long time, but I think time is on our side, as long as we act sooner rather than later.

As for what to do if/when NS goes forever, I don’t have any good ideas at the moment. I also don’t think that this is something we need to worry about short-term, but I do think this is something to keep in mind long-term. I suppose we could always go and play a game like Cyber Nations or Torn or something if we wanted. TRA would probably keep going in some capacity as long as the wiki still existed in some form.
LDF Colonel | Premier of Concord | TRA Moderator 
Main Nation: Anjan Kloss
Discord: CHS Storm Tracker#3991
█ █ █ █  █ 
█ █ 
(04-16-2024, 03:57 PM)Kivu Wrote: TRA would probably keep going in some capacity as long as the wiki still existed in some form.

TRA will exist until the end of time itself

[Image: BLPE297.png]  LDF flagbearer, Speaker of the Council

Ive seen regions that turn into community servers so that can always be an option. If thats an option, culture department can host games that we can hangout in. Cyber Nations could be an alternative route.

If not, maybe a level of discord govt sim?

As for discord, I think itll be sold or we’ll get another platform for gaming similar to how skype went from teamspeak to now discord. However discord then again has like over 100 million people.