Thread Rating:
  • 8 Vote(s) - 2.75 Average
Last to post wins
The battle of New Carthage took place in early 209 BC when a Roman army under Publius Cornelius Scipio successfully assaulted New Carthage, the capital of Carthaginian Iberia, which was defended by a garrison under Mago. The battle was part of the Second Punic War.

In 211 BC the Romans in Iberia (modern Spain and Portugal) were heavily defeated at the battle of the Upper Baetis. Reinforcements arrived in early 210 BC and Scipio brought further reinforcements when he took command late in the year. Scipio felt unable to draw into battle and defeat any of the three strong Carthaginian armies in the peninsula and so decided to strike at the material centre of Carthaginian power in Iberia: its capital, New Carthage. He arrived outside the city early in 209 BC and commenced his attack the next day. After defeating a Carthaginian force outside the walls, he pressed an attack on the east gate. Simultaneously men from the Roman ships attempted to escalade the wall to the south from the harbour area. Both attacks were repulsed.

In the afternoon Scipio renewed the attacks. Hard-pressed, Mago moved men from the north wall, which overlooked a broad, shallow lagoon. Anticipating this, Scipio sent a force of 500 men through the lagoon to scale the north wall, which they did unopposed. They fought their way to the east gate, opened it from inside and let in their comrades. New Carthage fell and was sacked, and Mago surrendered the citadel and the last of his troops. Vast amounts of precious metal and war materiel were seized. New Carthage became the logistics centre of the Roman war effort in Iberia and by 206 BC the Carthaginians had been expelled from the peninsula.
█ █ 

3rd Chief Consul of The League and Concord
World Assembly Delegate of The League
Archivist of The League and Concord
The statements I am about to make are of my own free will and recount actions I have made in the past year I believe the League government should be aware of in order to be in full compliance with the League Credit Rating System:

Last year was the end of my one year sabbatical in the Communist Bloc without a government mandate. Upon returning to the League, I immediately caused a disruption on my way home from the airport. After which I received a parking ticket and a traffic citation for improper parking. I was so mad at the officer I called him a Leaguex. All of these aforementioned actions caused me to lose a rank.

For my parking ticket, My employer suspended me forcing me to overdraft on my credit card. In order to make up this money I raised a goat in my urban house. It was around this time I received my Communist Bloc citizenship in the mail. There was a pothole in my local street so I petitioned #public to fix it. Afterwards I decided to add a second nation to the region without authorization. In order to get my job back I blackmailed my boss and then got publicly intoxicated afterwards to celebrate.

After I was notified of my credit rating decrease for my public intoxication, I sent an email back arguing about my rating. I forgot to repay the loan I took on my goat, because I was igniting both fireworks and firecrackers. I lost my blackmail on my boss, causing him to fire me. For this, I reported my boss for the murder of his wife. However when the police came to arrest my boss, I locked the door and kept them out.
For interfering with their work, I was arrested by the police. Since I was still low on money, I established a local newspaper without authorization. Once this newspaper was shut down, I petitioned the league council for them to allow me to operate. When they denied me, I vandalized my neighbors yard in protest. I decided to take a vacation in the Federation of Conservative Nations where I learned about the evils of the League Credit system. I came home and immediately began criticizing the system to all who would listen. On the way home, I saw my former boss actually murdering his wife and did not report it.

I began to vocalize my criticisms of the League government. In protest of the government I started skipping my advisory meetings. I went around to my neighbors handing out pamphlets telling them why they shouldn’t stand for the consulate any more. I had so little money at this point I began drawing on the few bills I had left. As part of my rebellion, I began skipping my primary RP classes. In fact I hated role-play so much, I petitioned the Consulate to eliminate it all together. When my neighbors asked me if I had petitioned the Consulate, I told them I hadn’t. However I did invite them to attend my illegal classes on why role-play is bad.

Without money, I couldn’t heat my house forcing me to use my League handbook as fuel for a fire. When the government inspectors came to investigate reports of a fire, I refused to let them in. I petitioned the Chief Consul to stop sending inspectors. I also used the regional flag as tinder for my fire. I was not attending my re-education classes as I was instructed, because I was purchasing illegal narcotics. I managed to find a loophole in the credit system to get a few points back. I realized I could get more money by committing tax evasion, and to earn even more money I claimed i was Nagarno As part of my anti-education crusade, I stopped attending my secondary education classes, and instead committed Tax Fraud on my Nagarno’s taxes. However I was still broke, so I accused the regional military of stealing my money. While the police were investigating my bosses wife’s murder I destroyed the knife he used to kill her for fun. When the inspectors came to ask why I wasn’t attending any of my classes, I questioned the need for my classes. I went so far as to accuse the government of fraud by holding these classes. I started practicing Adawnism and arguing for conservatism to be re-implemented in the league. When the military killed my brother, I accused them of murdering him, but in order to pay my bills I enslaved his widow. She convinced to support communism instead of conservatism, and to become an Quebecshire denier. She also introduced me to witchcraft and placed a Hex on Creeper. By this point I had softened my views to support Anti-Leaguism. The police found out I had enslaved my brothers widow and imprisoned me. Inside prison, i established the Anti-League Pro-Communist Conservatism Party. However my cellmate convinced me to become just a conservative again. Once I was released from prison, I robbed the cop who arrested me and failed to re-register for the league credit system. My now freed brothers widow now supported Pacifism and convinced me to do the same. She and I joined a protest criticizing the military. I littered while going to my pacifism underground meeting and sold the members narcotics.

I murdered my brothers widow and was arrested and convicted. I broke out of prison and spied on government officials for enemies of the region. I got Jackson pregnant. I gave money to the raider groups, and helped them stage a raider. I learned about the De-Defenderization online and was overjoyed by the news. I enlisted in the military and then deserted. Finally, I started an armed rebellion against both Defending and the League.

This is my manifesto. Abajo the League. Restore the LCN.
Quebec is a dictator
Royal Maundy (/ˈmɔːndi/) is a religious service in the Church of England held on Maundy Thursday, the day before Good Friday. At the service, the British monarch or a royal official ceremonially distributes small silver coins known as "Maundy money" (legally, "the King's Maundy money") as symbolic alms to elderly recipients. The coins are technically legal tender, but typically do not circulate due to their silver content and numismatic value. A small sum of ordinary money is also given in lieu of gifts of clothing and food that the sovereign once bestowed on Maundy recipients.

The name "Maundy" and the ceremony itself derive from an instruction, or mandatum, of Jesus Christ at the Last Supper that his followers should love one another. In the Middle Ages, English monarchs washed the feet of beggars in imitation of Jesus, and presented gifts and money to the poor. Over time, additional money was substituted for the clothing and other items that had once been distributed. Beginning in 1699 the monarch did not attend the service, sending an official in his place. The custom of royal representatives washing the feet of beggars did not survive the 18th century.

In 1931 Princess Marie Louise was at Royal Maundy, and afterwards suggested that her cousin, King George V, make the distributions the following year. He did so, beginning a new royal custom. Traditionally, the service was held in or near London, in most years in the early to mid–20th century at Westminster Abbey; the service is now held in a different church (usually a cathedral) every year. Queen Elizabeth II almost always attended (she was absent only five times in her reign). Recipients were once chosen for their poverty and were entitled to remain as Maundy recipients for life; today new recipients are chosen every year for service to their churches or communities, on the recommendation of clergymen of various Christian denominations. Generally, recipients live in the diocese where the service is held, although this was altered for the 2011 and 2012 services. The 2020 and 2021 services were cancelled due to the COVID-19 pandemic, with recipients sent their gifts by post. At the 2024 service, Queen Camilla is to attend in place of her husband, King Charles III, following his diagnosis of cancer.

Maundy money is struck in denominations of one penny, two pence, three pence, and four pence. Until the 18th century the coins given were from the circulating coinage, and it was not until the latter half of the century that the four Maundy coins developed as distinct, noncirculating pieces. The obverse design of the coins features the reigning monarch. The reverse, with a crowned numeral enclosed by a wreath, derives from a design first used during the reign of King William III and Queen Mary II, and which has been virtually unaltered since 1822. The coins are presented in two leather purses, a white one containing coins to the value of the same number of pence as the years of the monarch's age, and a red purse containing a £5 and a 50p coin. In most years there are fewer than 2,000 complete sets of Maundy money; they are highly sought after by collectors.
█ █ 

I’m back
Lou Henry Hoover (née Henry; March 29, 1874 – January 7, 1944) was an American philanthropist, geologist, and the first lady of the United States from 1929 to 1933 as the wife of President Herbert Hoover. She was active in community organizations and volunteer groups throughout her life, including the Girl Scouts of the USA, which she led from 1922 to 1925 and from 1935 to 1937. Throughout her life, Hoover supported women's rights and women's independence. She was a proficient linguist, fluent in Latin and Mandarin, and she was the primary translator from Latin to English of the complex 16th-century metallurgy text De re metallica.

Hoover was raised in California while it was part of the American frontier. She attended Stanford University, and became the first woman to receive a degree in geology from the institution. She met fellow geology student Herbert Hoover at Stanford, and they married in 1899. The Hoovers first resided in China; the Boxer Rebellion broke out later that year, and they were at the Battle of Tientsin. In 1901 they moved to London, where Hoover raised their two sons and became a popular hostess between their international travels. During World War I, the Hoovers led humanitarian efforts to assist war refugees. The family moved to Washington, D.C. in 1917, when Herbert was appointed head of the Food and Drug Administration, and Lou became a food conservation activist in support of his work.

Hoover became the First Lady of the United States when her husband was inaugurated as president in 1929. She minimized her public role as White House hostess, dedicating her time as first lady to her volunteer work. She refused to give interviews to reporters, but she became the first first lady to give regular radio broadcasts. Her invitation of Jessie De Priest to the White House for tea was controversial for its implied support of racial integration and civil rights. Hoover was responsible for refurbishing the White House during her tenure, and she also saw to the construction of a presidential retreat at Rapidan Camp. Hoover's reputation declined alongside her husband's during the Great Depression as she was seen as uncaring of the struggles faced by Americans. Both the public and those close to her were unaware of her extensive charitable work to support the poor while serving as first lady, as she believed that publicizing generosity was improper.

After Herbert lost his reelection campaign in 1932, the Hoovers returned to California, and they moved to New York City in 1940. Hoover was bitter about her husband's loss, blaming dishonest reporting and underhanded campaigning tactics, and she strongly opposed the Roosevelt administration. She worked to provide humanitarian support with her husband during World War II until her sudden death of a heart attack in 1944.
█ █ 

I win
Not Gagium 
Director of Culture | Council Delegate | CODECO
John Littlejohn (December 7, 1756 – May 13, 1836) was an American tradesman and Methodist preacher who served as sheriff of Loudoun County, Virginia, during the War of 1812. Born in Penrith, Cumberland, he briefly attended trade school in London before returning to Penrith. When he was around twelve years old, Littlejohn immigrated to the Thirteen Colonies to pursue various apprenticeships under tradesmen in Virginia and Maryland. While not particularly religious as a youth, he was inspired by Methodist revivalist sermons and began service as a circuit rider in 1776, during the outbreak of the Revolutionary War.

In his preaching, he traveled across the early United States, including Virginia, Maryland, Delaware, and Washington, D.C. After several years of itinerancy he settled in Leesburg, Virginia. There he served as a local preacher and saddler for several decades, and occasionally as a county magistrate, sheriff, and tax collector. As Loudoun County sheriff during the 1814 British raid on Washington, he protected a safehouse containing the relocated National Archives, including the Constitution and Declaration of Independence. In 1818, he moved with his family to Kentucky, where he served as a land agent, preaching alongside his work during travel across the state. He retired to Logan County in southern Kentucky, where he became a slaveholder. He died in 1836, after sixty years of preaching.
█ █ 

The Jarrow March of 5–31 October 1936, also known as the Jarrow Crusade,[n 1] was an organised protest against the unemployment and poverty suffered in the English town of Jarrow during the 1930s. Around 200 men (or "Crusaders" as they preferred to be called) marched from Jarrow to London, carrying a petition to the British government requesting the re-establishment of industry in the town following the closure in 1934 of its main employer, Palmer's shipyard. The petition was received by the House of Commons but not debated, and the march produced few immediate results. The Jarrovians went home believing that they had failed.

Jarrow had been a settlement since at least the 8th century. In the early 19th century, a coal industry developed before the establishment of the shipyard in 1851. Over the following 80 years, more than 1,000 ships were launched in Jarrow. In the 1920s, a combination of mismanagement and changed world trade conditions following the First World War brought a decline which led eventually to the yard's closure. Plans for its replacement by a modern steelworks plant were frustrated by opposition from the British Iron and Steel Federation, an employers' organisation with its own plans for the industry. The failure of the steelworks plan, and the lack of any prospect of large-scale employment in the town, were the final factors that led to the decision to march.

Marches of the unemployed to London, termed "hunger marches", had taken place since the early 1920s, mainly organised by the National Unemployed Workers' Movement (NUWM), a communist-led body. For fear of being associated with communist agitation, the Labour Party and Trades Union Congress (TUC) leaderships stood aloof from these marches. They exercised the same policy of detachment towards the Jarrow March, which was organised by the borough council with the support of all sections of the town but without any connection with the NUWM. During their journey the Jarrow marchers received sustenance and hospitality from local branches of all the main political parties, and were given a broad public welcome on their arrival in London.

Despite the initial sense of failure among the marchers, in subsequent years, the Jarrow March became recognised by historians as a defining event of the 1930s. It helped to foster the change in attitudes which prepared the way to social reform measures after the Second World War, which their proponents thought would improve working conditions. The town holds numerous memorials to the march. Re-enactments celebrated the 50th and 75th anniversaries, in both cases invoking the "spirit of Jarrow" in their campaigns against unemployment. In contrast to the Labour Party's coldness in 1936, the post-war party leadership adopted the march as a metaphor for governmental callousness and working-class fortitude.
█ █ 

The Order of Brothelyngham was a group of men who, in the mid-14th century, formed themselves into a fake religious order in the city of Exeter, Devon. They may well have been satirising the church, which was commonly perceived as corrupt. Tales of priests and nuns not living according to their religious vows were widespread. The group appears to have named itself after a non-existent place, "Brothelyngham". Such a name would have suggested chaos, wretchedness or some similar context to contemporaries, rather than its modern connotation with a brothel. The men of this fake order dressed as monks, and supposedly elected a madman to rule them as their abbot, possibly from a theatrical stage or throne.

The Brothelynghamite Order caused much trouble in Exeter, regularly emerging from their base—which may have been some form of medieval theatre, or other area of public entertainment—and terrorising the citizens. Bearing their "Abbot" aloft before them, on a mockery of a cathedra, they kidnapped locals whom they held for ransom. They also practised extortion. It is possible that, notwithstanding these activities, they saw themselves as theatrical players rather than criminals. The Bishop of Exeter, John Grandisson, in nearby Chudleigh, issued instructions to his agents to investigate and if they deemed it necessary, to condemn and excommunicate the Order, although the end result remains unknown. The bishop clearly expected to find evidence of disobedience and debauchery.

As one of the few such gangs known to modern historians, the Order of Brothelyngham is considered historiographically significant for what it suggests of anti-clerical activities and attitudes in England during the period. The name is generally considered a word play on the Order of Sempringham, which was the target of contemporary gossip and rumour on account of its policy of enclosing both monks and nuns on the same premises.
█ █ 

Morgan Gardner Bulkeley (December 26, 1837 – November 6, 1922) was an American politician of the Republican Party, businessman, and insurance executive. In 1876, he served as the first president of baseball's National League and because of that, was inducted into the National Baseball Hall of Fame in 1937, a choice that remains controversial, since his time as a baseball executive was short.

Bulkeley was born in East Haddam, Connecticut. His father was Judge Eliphalet Adams Bulkeley, a prominent local lawyer and businessman, who became the first president of the Aetna Life Insurance Company. The family moved to Hartford, where Morgan Bulkeley was educated, before he took a job in the city of Brooklyn, New York. He served briefly in the American Civil War, where he saw no combat. When his father died in 1872, he moved back to Hartford and became a bank president and a board member of Aetna, becoming its president in 1879, a post he held the rest of his life.

When the Hartford Dark Blues baseball team was asked to join the new National League in 1876, Bulkeley, the team president, was asked to become league president, despite having a minimum of baseball experience. He served one season, though most work was done by Chicago White Stockings owner William Hulbert. Bulkeley also served on the Hartford Common Council and in 1880 was elected to the first of four two-year terms as mayor of Hartford.

He was elected Governor of Connecticut, taking office in 1889. He was not renominated by the Republicans, but served a second two-year term because the houses of the state legislature could not agree on the outcome of the 1890 election. Holding over in office after the end of his elected term, the entry to the executive offices at the State House were locked against him, and he had it opened with a crowbar, thus earning the nickname, "the Crowbar Governor". He left office in 1893, and served one term as U.S. senator from Connecticut from 1905 to 1911. In his final years he remained involved with civic and philanthropic activities. After his death in 1922, several structures in Hartford, including a bridge and a high school, were named for him.
█ █