Thread Rating:
  • 9 Vote(s) - 2.89 Average
Last to post wins
Battle Birds was an American air-war pulp magazine published by Popular Publications from 1932 to 1935 and from 1940 to 1944.

It was launched at the end of 1932, but did not sell well, and in 1934 the publisher turned it into an air-war hero pulp titled Dusty Ayres and His Battle Birds. Robert Sidney Bowen, an established pulp writer, provided the lead novel each month, and also wrote the short stories that filled out the issue. All of the cover art was painted by Frederick Blakeslee. Bowen's stories were set in the future, with the United States menaced by an Asian empire called the Black Invaders. The change was not successful enough to be extended beyond the initial plan of a year, and Bowen wrote a novel in which, unusually for pulp fiction, Dusty Ayres finally defeated the invaders, to end the series. The magazine ceased publication with the July/August 1935 issue.

It restarted in 1940, under the original title, Battle Birds, and lasted for another four years.
██████ █ █ 

3rd Chief Consul of The League and Concord
World Assembly Delegate of The League
Director of Internal Affairs of The League and Concord
Archivist of The League and Concord
Titanis (meaning "Titan" for the mythological Greek Titans) is a genus of phorusrhacid ("terror birds", a group originating in South America), an extinct family of large, predatory birds, in the order Cariamiformes that inhabited the United States during the Pliocene and earliest Pleistocene. The first fossils were unearthed by amateur archaeologists Benjamin Waller and Robert Allen from the Santa Fe River in Florida and were named Titanis walleri by ornithologist Pierce Brodkorb in 1963, the species name honoring Waller. The holotype material is fragmentary, consisting of only an incomplete right tarsometatarsus (lower leg bone) and phalanx (toe bone), but comes from one of the largest phorusrhacid individuals known. In the years following the description, many more isolated elements have been unearthed from sites from other areas of Florida, Texas, and California. It was classified in the subfamily Phorusrhacinae, which includes some of the last and largest phorusrhacids like Devincenzia and Kelenken.

Like all phorusrhacids, Titanis had elongated hind limbs, a thin pelvis, proportionally small wings, and a large skull with a hooked beak. It was one of the largest phorusrhacids, possibly similar in size to Phorusrhacos based on preserved material. More recent estimates placed Titanis at 1.4 to 2 meters (4.6 to 6.6 ft) in height and over 300 kilograms (660 lb) in body mass. Due to the fragmentary fossils, the anatomy is poorly known, but several distinct characters on the tarsometatarsus have been observed. The skull is estimated to have been between 36 centimetres (14 in) and 56 centimetres (22 in) in length, one of the largest known from any bird.

Phorusrhacids are thought to have been ground predators or scavengers, and have often been considered apex predators that dominated Cenozoic South America in the absence of placental mammalian predators, though they did co-exist with some large, carnivorous borhyaenid mammals. Titanis co-existed with many placental predators in North America and was likely one of several apex predators in its ecosystem. The tarsometatarsus was long and slender, like that of its relative Kelenken, which has been suggested to have been agile and capable of running at high speeds. Studies of the related Andalgalornis show that large phorusrhacids had very stiff and stress-resistant skulls; this indicates they may have swallowed small prey whole or targeted larger prey with repetitive strikes of the beak. Titanis is known from the Pliocene deposits of Florida, southern California, and southeastern Texas, regions that had large open savannas and a menagerie of mammalian megafauna. It likely preyed on mammals such as the extinct armadillo relatives Holmesina and Glyptotherium, equids, tapirs, capybaras, and other Pliocene herbivores. Titanis is unique among phorusrhacids in that it is the only one known from North America, crossing over from South America during the Great American Interchange.
██████ █ █ 

The Frye Fire was a wildfire that burned 48,443 acres (19,604 ha) in Graham County, Arizona, United States, from June 7 to September 1, 2017. The fire was ignited by a lightning strike on Mount Graham, within the Coronado National Forest, and spread rapidly until it was mostly contained on July 12. The Frye Fire destroyed three buildings, briefly threatened the Mount Graham International Observatory, cost $26 million to contain (equivalent to $32 million in 2023) and suppress, and involved more than 800 firefighters. There were no fatalities, but 63 firefighters were quarantined as a result of a strep throat outbreak.

Beginning in July 2017, rains from the annual North American monsoon season washed sediments off mountain slopes in the Frye Fire's burn scar. This runoff, consisting of rainwater, ash, and debris, clogged creeks and damaged infrastructure within Graham County. The fire particularly impacted the endangered Mount Graham red squirrel, whose remaining habitat on Mount Graham was devastated.
██████ █ █ 

Wolverton Viaduct is a railway bridge carrying the West Coast Main Line over the River Great Ouse to the north of Wolverton, part of Milton Keynes, in south-eastern England. Built in 1838 for the London and Birmingham Railway (L&BR) to the design of Robert Stephenson, it was the largest viaduct on the L&BR's route. It is in the centre of Wolverton Embankment, itself the largest on the line. It has six brick arches and covers a distance of 660 feet (200 metres), reaching a maximum height of 57 feet (17 metres) above the river, and terminating in substantial abutments which contain decorative arches. The viaduct and embankment feature in drawings by John Cooke Bourne. Several contemporary commentators likened Stephenson's bridges to Roman aqueducts. Some modern engineers and railway historians have suggested that Wolverton Viaduct is not as innovative or impressive as some that followed but nonetheless praised its visual impact.

The cutting caught fire during construction and suffered from slips and settlement problems for several years. The viaduct was widened to take four tracks in the 1880s with a blue-brick extension, in contrast to the red-brick original; the new structure was not bonded to the original and the divide can be clearly seen from underneath. Masts for overhead electrification were added in the 1950s but otherwise the bridge is little changed since it was built. It has common features with several other L&BR viaducts and is now a Grade II listed building.
██████ █ █ 

The Jersey Act was introduced to prevent the registration of most American-bred Thoroughbred horses in the British General Stud Book. It had its roots in the desire of British horse breeders to halt the influx of American-bred racehorses of possibly impure bloodlines during the early 20th century. Many American-bred horses were exported to Europe to race and retire to a breeding career after a number of U.S. states banned gambling, which depressed Thoroughbred racing as well as breeding in the United States. The loss of breeding records during the American Civil War and the late beginning of the registration of American Thoroughbreds led many in the British racing establishment to doubt that the American-bred horses were purebred.

In 1913, the Jockey Club and the owners of the General Stud Book passed a regulation named by the foreign press after the Jockey Club's senior steward, Lord Jersey, prohibiting the registration of horses in the book unless all of their ancestors had been registered. Despite protests from American breeders, the regulation remained in force until 1949. Among the factors influencing its relaxation were the racing success of ineligible horses in Europe and the damage caused to British and Irish breeders by the unavailability of French Thoroughbreds during and after the Second World War. In addition, by 1949 the possibly impure ancestors of the American bloodlines had receded far back in most horses' ancestry.
██████ █ █ 

The statements I am about to make are of my own free will and recount actions I have made in the past year I believe the League government should be aware of in order to be in full compliance with the League Credit Rating System:

Last year was the end of my one year sabbatical in the Communist Bloc without a government mandate. Upon returning to the League, I immediately caused a disruption on my way home from the airport. After which I received a parking ticket and a traffic citation for improper parking. I was so mad at the officer I called him a Leaguex. All of these aforementioned actions caused me to lose a rank.

For my parking ticket, My employer suspended me forcing me to overdraft on my credit card. In order to make up this money I raised a goat in my urban house. It was around this time I received my Communist Bloc citizenship in the mail. There was a pothole in my local street so I petitioned #public to fix it. Afterwards I decided to add a second nation to the region without authorization. In order to get my job back I blackmailed my boss and then got publicly intoxicated afterwards to celebrate.

After I was notified of my credit rating decrease for my public intoxication, I sent an email back arguing about my rating. I forgot to repay the loan I took on my goat, because I was igniting both fireworks and firecrackers. I lost my blackmail on my boss, causing him to fire me. For this, I reported my boss for the murder of his wife. However when the police came to arrest my boss, I locked the door and kept them out.
For interfering with their work, I was arrested by the police. Since I was still low on money, I established a local newspaper without authorization. Once this newspaper was shut down, I petitioned the league council for them to allow me to operate. When they denied me, I vandalized my neighbors yard in protest. I decided to take a vacation in the Federation of Conservative Nations where I learned about the evils of the League Credit system. I came home and immediately began criticizing the system to all who would listen. On the way home, I saw my former boss actually murdering his wife and did not report it.

I began to vocalize my criticisms of the League government. In protest of the government I started skipping my advisory meetings. I went around to my neighbors handing out pamphlets telling them why they shouldn’t stand for the consulate any more. I had so little money at this point I began drawing on the few bills I had left. As part of my rebellion, I began skipping my primary RP classes. In fact I hated role-play so much, I petitioned the Consulate to eliminate it all together. When my neighbors asked me if I had petitioned the Consulate, I told them I hadn’t. However I did invite them to attend my illegal classes on why role-play is bad.

Without money, I couldn’t heat my house forcing me to use my League handbook as fuel for a fire. When the government inspectors came to investigate reports of a fire, I refused to let them in. I petitioned the Chief Consul to stop sending inspectors. I also used the regional flag as tinder for my fire. I was not attending my re-education classes as I was instructed, because I was purchasing illegal narcotics. I managed to find a loophole in the credit system to get a few points back. I realized I could get more money by committing tax evasion, and to earn even more money I claimed i was Nagarno As part of my anti-education crusade, I stopped attending my secondary education classes, and instead committed Tax Fraud on my Nagarno’s taxes. However I was still broke, so I accused the regional military of stealing my money. While the police were investigating my bosses wife’s murder I destroyed the knife he used to kill her for fun. When the inspectors came to ask why I wasn’t attending any of my classes, I questioned the need for my classes. I went so far as to accuse the government of fraud by holding these classes. I started practicing Adawnism and arguing for conservatism to be re-implemented in the league. When the military killed my brother, I accused them of murdering him, but in order to pay my bills I enslaved his widow. She convinced to support communism instead of conservatism, and to become an Quebecshire denier. She also introduced me to witchcraft and placed a Hex on Creeper. By this point I had softened my views to support Anti-Leaguism. The police found out I had enslaved my brothers widow and imprisoned me. Inside prison, i established the Anti-League Pro-Communist Conservatism Party. However my cellmate convinced me to become just a conservative again. Once I was released from prison, I robbed the cop who arrested me and failed to re-register for the league credit system. My now freed brothers widow now supported Pacifism and convinced me to do the same. She and I joined a protest criticizing the military. I littered while going to my pacifism underground meeting and sold the members narcotics.

I murdered my brothers widow and was arrested and convicted. I broke out of prison and spied on government officials for enemies of the region. I got Jackson pregnant. I gave money to the raider groups, and helped them stage a raider. I learned about the De-Defenderization online and was overjoyed by the news. I enlisted in the military and then deserted. Finally, I started an armed rebellion against both Defending and the League.

This is my manifesto. Abajo the League. Restore the LCN.
Quebec is a dictator
KNXV-TV (channel 15) is a television station in Phoenix, Arizona, United States, affiliated with ABC. It was established in 1979 as the Phoenix area's second independent station with part-time subscription television programming from ON TV. It was originally owned by the New Television Corporation, which had attempted to set up the station for nearly five years prior to its launch. In 1985, Scripps-Howard Broadcasting, the broadcast division of the E. W. Scripps Company, acquired KNXV-TV. Channel 15 affiliated with Fox in 1986 and became the leading independent in the market, one of Fox's strongest affiliates. In 1994, Fox announced a multi-city affiliation agreement with New World Communications which included Phoenix's then-CBS affiliate, KSAZ-TV, and mostly CBS affiliates in several other major markets. CBS expressed interest in affiliating with Scripps's ABC affiliates in other cities and Scripps used this as leverage to force ABC to move its Phoenix affiliation from market leader KTVK to KNXV-TV beginning in January 1995.

The station was already organizing a local newsroom when the switch was announced and aired its first newscast on August 1, 1994; News 15 received critical acclaim in its early years but sank in ratings and quality in the late 1990s and early 2000s. The news department recovered, expanding the number of local newscasts it produced, and has since received three George Foster Peabody Awards. In 2019, Scripps acquired a second Phoenix station, KASW (channel 61), which was the CW affiliate for Phoenix. The CW affiliation briefly moved to a subchannel of KNXV-TV to allow channel 61 to air Arizona Coyotes hockey games. The two stations share studios on 44th Street on Phoenix's east side; KNXV-TV's transmitter is located atop South Mountain. Its signal is relayed across northern Arizona through a network of low-power translators.
██████ █ █ 

a
INDEVERO Was Here
Kenrick Reginald Hijmans "Snakehips" Johnson (10 September 1914 – 8 March 1941) was a swing band-leader and dancer. He was a leading figure in black British music of the 1930s and early 1940s before his death while performing at the Café de Paris, London, when it was hit by a German bomb in the Blitz during the Second World War.

Johnson was born in Georgetown, British Guiana (present-day Guyana). He showed some musical ability, but his early interest in a career in dancing displeased his father, who wished him to study medicine. He was educated in Britain, but instead of continuing on to university, he travelled to New York, perfecting dance moves and immersing himself in the vibrant jazz scene in Harlem. Tall and elegant, he modelled himself professionally on Cab Calloway. He returned to Britain and set up the Aristocrats (or Emperors) of Jazz, a mainly black swing band, with Leslie Thompson, a Jamaican musician. In 1937 he took control of the band through a legal loophole, resulting in the departure of Thompson and several musicians. Johnson filled the vacancies with musicians from the Caribbean; the band's popularity grew and its name changed to the West Indian Dance Orchestra.

From 1938 the band started broadcasting on BBC Radio, recorded their first discs and appeared in an early television broadcast. Increasingly popular, they were employed as the house band at the Café de Paris, an upmarket and fashionable nightclub located in a basement premises below a cinema. A German bombing raid on London in March 1941 hit the cinema, killing at least 34 and injuring dozens more. Johnson and one of the band's saxophonists were among those killed; several other band members were injured.

The West Indian Dance Orchestra were the leading swing band in Britain at the time, well-known and popular through their radio broadcasts, but their impact was more social than musical. As leader of a mainly black orchestra playing the most up-to-date music of the time, Johnson was seen as a pioneer for black musical leaders in the UK. When the band broke up after Johnson's death, the members had an impact on the nature and sound of British jazz. In 1940 Johnson had begun a relationship with Gerald Hamilton, a man twenty years his senior. After Johnson's death Hamilton never travelled without a framed photograph of him, always referring to him as "my husband".[1]
██████ █ █ 

John Rolph (4 March 1793 – 19 October 1870) was a Canadian physician, lawyer, and political figure. As a politician, he was considered the leader of the Reform faction in the 1820s and helped plan the Upper Canada Rebellion. As a doctor, he founded several medical schools and incorporated new teaching techniques and medical procedures into his lectures. However, his actions against rival medical schools decreased public confidence in the ability of medical professionals to regulate themselves.

Rolph grew up in Thornbury, Gloucestershire, and was educated in medicine and law. He immigrated to Upper Canada in 1813 and lived on his father's farm in Port Talbot, where he practised law and medicine concurrently and opened a medical school called the Talbot Dispensary. In 1824, Rolph was elected to the Parliament of Upper Canada and returned to England to petition the Colonial Office to allow the naturalization of American citizens in Canada. He was elected as an alderman to Toronto's first city council, though he resigned after his council colleagues did not select him to be the city's mayor.

William Lyon Mackenzie persuaded Rolph to support the Upper Canada Rebellion in 1837. When the rebellion began, Rolph did not join the rebels at their headquarters and the Lieutenant Governor appointed him as his emissary to deliver the government's offer of a truce. Rolph fled to the US after the rebellion and focused on practising and teaching medicine. The Canadian government granted him amnesty and he returned to Canada in 1843, later creating a new medical institution called the Rolph School in Toronto. In 1851 he was elected to the Legislative Assembly of the Province of Canada and focused on his political career; upon the formation of the Morin-MacNab administration three years later, Rolph's priority returned to running his school. He retired as dean of his medical school in 1870 and died later that year after suffering a stroke.
██████ █ █