Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
[Discussion] Governmental Reform
Agree with quite a bit of what Fandom said and disagree with others though. I will say for the record that if our history was more well-recorded then some of the factual inaccuracies in my original post wouldn't have been there. This might be a good idea as a law in the future- some kind of task force organized to catalog the history of TL&C for future reference. But, that's a topic for later.

Also, Spode mentioned the Archivist of the Republic. This position isn't defined in any law I can find (and there's not much archiving going on anyways) so I would be fine with doing away with it in favor of a Clerk.

I'd like to propose a bill for the changes discussed above and on Discord. This is, of course, a very rough draft and is subject to change depending on where the discussion goes.

Quote:CRB 30-A – An Act to Reform the Council

Preamble
Recognizing the lack of activity in the Council of the Republic and noting the inefficient process currently used for the accession of citizens into the Council, the Council seeks to amend and repeal prior legislation on the matter.

THE LEAGUE GOVERNMENT DECLARES:

The Constitution of the Republic shall be amended with the following changes:
  1. Article 3, Section 1.III through Article 3, Section 1.VI and Article 3, Section 1.VIII through Article 3, Section 1.X shall be struck out.
  2. Article 2, Section 2.VI shall be struck out.
  3. The following shall be appended to the end of Article 3, Section 1:
    1. The position of Delegate to the Council of the Republic shall be granted to citizens after an application for the position is approved by the Consulate.
    2. Only citizens whose WA is in either the League, Concord, or active in the LDF may become a Delegate.
    3. Delegates will serve indefinitely unless removed from the Council.
    4. The Council is permanently convened.
    5. There shall be a legislative officer titled the Clerk of the Council of the Republic who shall be tasked with managing the day-to-day tasks and the maintenance of the Council.
    6. The Clerk of the Council shall be nominated by the Consulate and then confirmed by a Consulate-managed process which must include the consent of the majority of the Council. If a nomination does not gain the majority consent of the Council, the Consulate will nominate a different Delegate until one is approved.
    7. The Clerk of the Council's term shall be indefinite. The Consulate may remove the Clerk of the Council from office if there is a clear and present ineptitude in their duties.
    8. The Clerk of the Council will hold regular checks of activity for all Delegates. If a Delegate does not meet the requirements defined by the Clerk in consultation with the Consulate, then the Clerk may remove the Delegate from the Council with a provided reason.
    9. The Clerk of the Council shall make publicly available all Bills, Motions, and Laws of the Council, as well as a full amendment history for all three as well as this Constitution.
    10. All Laws, Motions, Bills, and this Constitution must be displayed as the most updated version, with historical versions displayed elsewhere.
    11. The Clerk of the Council shall be granted the authority to perform discretionary edits to Motions and Laws of the Council as well as this Constitution without Council approval, as long as the edits do not affect the meaning of the law or motion in any way.
    12. All executive officers are automatically granted Delegate status until their removal or resignation from their position.
  4. Article 3, Section 2.II shall be struck out.
  5. Following Article 3, Section 2.I, the following shall be added:
    1. Any citizen or Delegate to the Council may submit a Bill to the Council. A Delegate must sponsor a Bill before it can go to vote.
    2. When a Bill is sponsored and an adequate amount of time has passed for Delegates to make their opinions on the Bill known, the Clerk will open a vote for the Bill in a timely manner. The vote will last exactly 72 hours and the Bill may only pass if a majority of non-abstaining votes were for the passage of the Bill. Only Delegates may vote on Bills.

The following changes will be made in regards to the labeling of Bills, Laws, and Motions:
  1. Bills will be labelled as such: CRB [Last two numbers of year]-[A letter in the sequence A1Z26].
  2. Laws passed by the Council will be labelled as CRL # [CRB ID].
  3. Motions, whether or not they pass, will be labelled as CRM #.

The following Laws and Motions will be declared obsolete and repealed:
  1. CRL #9 – An Act To Establish a Labeling and Filing System for Council Bills, Laws and Motions
  2. CRL #23 – An Act to Make WA Membership Mandatory for any Government Position
  3. CRL #32 – An Act to End CRB 3
  4. CRL #38 – Council Nomination Acceptance Act
  5. CRM #5 – A Motion to Create the Position of Director of the Council

The current Speaker of the Council shall take the position of Clerk of the Council, effective immediately after the passage of this Bill.

This defines the Clerk and gets rid of the Speaker. It also incorporates all of the changes proposed by Quebec in #council-chambers except the former Consuls getting lifetime Delegateship- I'm a bit on the fence with this but if there is a consensus in favor I would be fine with adding it. In addition, I decided to define how bills, motions, and laws are filed away in this Bill and get rid of CRL #9 and #32. I had to change it anyway since we were doing away with Council cycles, and I wasn't sure if I should repeal #32 so I just repealed both of them and redefined it. In addition, I repealed CRM #5 as it defined a "Director of the Council" and it seemed to be still around. Other than that, there's nothing too bad here.

I opted to not put the DSB into law because I'm not aware of the full scope of the DSB and its day-to-day operations and I would rather not try to write something up for it without knowing exactly what it does.

Let me know anything I missed. Please!

Messages In This Thread
RE: [Discussion] Governmental Reform - by Spode - 04-12-2024, 03:15 AM
RE: [Discussion] Governmental Reform - by im_a_waffle1 - 04-12-2024, 03:29 AM